Wednesday, August 4, 2010

To Go Big Or Go Small?



After getting back from a job interview today, I started to wonder why it is always the smaller companies that I gravitate towards. I am aware large companies tend to offer more comprehensive benefits, additional resources, and greater job stability. Further, the majority of my fellow McMaster University graduates had dreams of working for a Fortune 500 company and climbing the corporate ladder to more and more riches throughout their lives. Sure, the perks are great but in some instances they come at a cost.

The company I was introduced to today has a handful of employees who are like a family. Their hiring practice is such that all coworkers have a say in who fits best at the vacant position. To me, this is a sign of good management. Everybody has a voice from top to bottom of the organization. I am aware their marketing budget most likely is minimal and only one employee would handle it; however, I would be that employee. My ideas, my marketing plans would most certainly be heard. This is quite attractive to a recent grad yearning for one thing above all else: Experience.

I cannot help to imagine most lower level corporate employees are known more by number than name. Their ideas may take years of climbing before they are heard. These impersonal management practices can also lay the foundation for mass lay-offs, outsourcing jobs, and pay cuts.

On the other hand, it is important to note that many large corporations are managed well. In fact, I am still willing to "go corporate"; maybe one day a large corporation will prove me wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment