Throughout my career quest, essentially I did everything right; I went to job fairs, corporate networking sessions, resume and interview shops, and university career counselors while at university. I graduated near the top of my Commerce class with Honours and I kept busy with extracurricular activities. I searched my heart out after I graduated and applied for an average of 15 jobs a week. I went on quite a few interviews and second interviews but always heard the same excuse--"not enough experience". I felt like I had to jump on my first job offer. I had always thought it was unfortunate how very educated individuals had to take customer service horror jobs to pay the bills and there I was, living that exact nightmare.
So here I sit, 2 months unemployed again and realizing that there are many Y'ers just like me. My friend "D" graduated this May with a geography degree and she has resorted to applying to fast food joints only to be turned down because she is "too smart". My friend "B" graduated teachers college this year only to work part-time in retail and has given up on even looking for a teaching job; consequently, she is going to seek employment abroad. Other friends joined temp agencies and get a day's work every month. Most my friends are either unemployed or severely underemployed and it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I was told by a family friend to hold tight because the Baby Boomers will be retiring soon and we will have any job we want. However, with the current economic climate and lack of significant retirement savings for many Boomers, I am not very hopeful; but, I will refuse to lose hope.
It is very simple, I am just waiting for a company to take a chance on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment