
Canadians are commonly believed to be one of the most polite people in the world; or they are at least perceived to be saints as compared to their American neighbours. As an American transplant living in Canada, I can see major differences in this respect. But, in my opinion this “politeness” does not always translate well in the workforce. Not wanting to be mean to job candidates makes Canadian hiring managers one of the worst of its kind.
Which would you prefer, having your partner break up with you via a post-it left on your refrigerator or having them silently break up with you by ignoring you and cutting off all communication? Sure both can be devastating, but one leaves you questioning and drives you to insanity and confusion until a month or so passes and then you finally get the picture.
The same type of rejection applies to the job interviewing process. When you are told you did not get the position, you can rest your thoughts of a grand future with a company and you can set a new direction for yourself. By simply not saying anything, a hiring manager leaves you in a standstill with a constant uncertain stream of consciousness that takes over your mind and body. When you finally realize that the new job you were dreaming about probably went to someone else, the only emotion left is anger—anger directed at the hiring manager and at the company itself for not showing you any respect. Who benefits from this method of rejection?
I am amazed at the amount of cowardice in hiring professionals I have come in contact with over the past year. I have personally interviewed and was subsequently rejected for positions with approximately twelve different companies this past year and I have only heard a form of rejection from two. Therefore, 83% of prospective employers did not even have the common courtesy to send a quick email saying the position has been filled; there could have been a generic, two minute email sent to all candidates not selected. This makes a me as a person, who may have traveled for more than two hours and caught three busses and a train for an interview, feel like I was not even worth a two minute email or call.
I would take a rude interviewer who is rash over a amicable coward any day of the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment